Volunteer at The Hospice
We recognise the value our volunteers bring to Medway Community Healthcare by providing vital support to our teams and patients.
For volunteers, being part of Medway Community Healthcare (MCH) offers you the opportunity to develop new skills and improve your employability. Giving time to your local community can also be extremely rewarding.
As a volunteer you will work alongside our staff as part of a professionally trained and skilled workforce enhancing and supporting the delivery of high quality care. This can be either through direct contact with patients and their carers or as part of the invaluable workforce operating behind the scenes to support services.
There are many varied roles MCH can offer you as a volunteer, including; specialist positions such as a complimentary therapist or bereavement counsellor at the Wisdom Hospice as well as in the community supporting new mothers, driving patients and assisting with administrative tasks.
How do I become a volunteer?
Becoming a volunteer holds certain responsibilities and expectations, to protect you, our staff and service users. Below is a list of our expectations:-
- Give a minimum of a 1-year commitment to volunteering
- Fulfil the duties and responsibilities set out in the volunteer task specification/risk assessment, as agreed with the voluntary services manager
- Positively represent Medway Community Healthcare
- Comply with all policies and procedures
- Wear a visible identity badge at all times
- Raise any issues of concern relating to voluntary work with the voluntary services manager
- Undertake voluntary work without using it to generate business
- Inform voluntary services manager if you are charged with or convicted of any offence subsequently upon applying to volunteer
- Inform voluntary services manager or relevant member of staff if you are unable to attend, if possible, in advance
- Give reasonable notice if unable to continue volunteering, returning identify badges and any other organisation property
To become a volunteer you will be required to:-
- Attend an interview
- Complete a volunteer application form
- complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check
- Provide two referees details
- Sign and agree to a confidentiality agreement, task specification and to complete all identified training that is provided.
Sign up to Volunteer at The Hospice
Meet Jane Shirley
Jane Shirley volunteers on a Tuesday morning as a hospice Telephonist. Jane said "I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has time to spare as I have found that I have got far more out of the experience of volunteering than I have put in."
Role of the Volunteer Services Manager
The Volunteer Services Manager recruits volunteers; organising your activities and matching your skills, particular interests and time availability to services. They support and develop your role as a volunteer and promote good working relationships with staff and other volunteers.
To contact Debra Gaskin please call 01634 830456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the nature of this site,
we can not offer work experience at The Wisdom Hospice.
You can complete an application for a work placement through MCH via the link below
Alternatively, you can apply for work experience with the Fundraising Team of The Friends of the Wisdom Hospice